Scroll down for links to notes and Q&A’s.
June 23, 2015
It is my hope to be transparent in our management practices at Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. We want to collaborate with you, members of the public and our partners, to make Land Between The Lakes the best it can be for our visitors, gateway communities, and our region.
We will be answering questions originated from the various discussions, listening sessions, and meetings we held with members of the public and our partners.
This Q&A Index will provide links to these questions and answers. This first update includes the notes from our listening sessions. These notes were reported by a professional note taker included with the facilitator contract. We only corrected misspelled names. The rest of the note documents are as we received them.
There will be a link to this index on our home page at www.landbetweenthelakes.us. You can also find these postings online through the Blog tab under the pull-down menu on “categories” by choosing Questions from the Public.
This Q&A Index post will be updated periodically as we answer more questions and continue to engage with you. Listening and learning is important to me. Sharing what we have heard is also important to moving forward together.
Tina R. Tilley
P.S. These links will take you directly to the answer page for that topic and to meeting notes.
Listening Session Notes
What happened at the meetings?
Listening Session-3: June 16, 2015 at Stewart County Visitor Center, TN
Listening Session-2: June 11, 2015 at Kentucky Dam Village Resort Park, KY
Listening Session-1: May 21, 2015 at Kenlake State Resort Park, KY
Planning Meeting: April 28, 2015 at Kenlake State Resort Park, KY
Questions from the Public
- Timber Sales
- Land Management, Recreation, and Funding
- Where does the money go?
- Cost for managing an oak-grassland habitat
Maintenance and Upgrades
- Nickell Branch Road Improvement Project
- Winter Storm Road Repair Update
- Hillman Ferry Campground Improvements
- Birmingham Ferry Backcountry Area Improvements
- Cravens Bay Self-Service Campground Improvements
- Piney Campground
- Grays Landing
- Energy Lake Campground
- Wranglers Campground
- Colson Hollow Road
- Hazard Tree Removal
Natural Resource Management:
- What are Core Areas?
- How Land Management Affects Outdoor Recreation
- Timber harvests and prescribed burns for vegetation management
- Reports from the oak-grasslands research
- Resource Management and Global Warming
- What land management practices and goals can be utilized with minimal public resistance?
- What land management practices do you anticipate suspending in light of public concerns? Pisgah Project? How long will these practices be suspended?
- How will you attempt to improve communication of land management goals and practices in the future, how do you sell it to the public?
- What will be the Advisory Boards role in relation to changes in land management and its effects on recreation and environmental education?
- Why do we want the LBL to be returned to pre-European?
- Oak-Grassland Restoration Demonstration Areas
- What are you doing with our roads? How much does one mile of road cost to fix?