Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

A.    LBL has approximately 110,000 acres in Kentucky and 60,000 acres in Tennessee.

A. Deer Application Period is July 1-31:
B. Turkey Application Period is February 1-28:
You will need to create an account. You must have an email address unique to each hunter per account.
C. For login assistance, you can email [email protected]
D. We cannot create accounts or take applications over the phone.

A. Refer to Fact Sheets for Deer, Turkey, and Small Game, Waterfowl and Trapping on our website:

A. A properly licensed hunter may hunt coyotes may be taken during daylight hours in any open
hunting season with weapons specified for that season. During February, center-fire rifles and
handguns, and shotguns with shot size T or smaller may be used for coyotes. Night hunting for
coyotes is prohibited on LBL. Hog hunting is PROHIBITED.

A.    Before modern transportation and developed road systems, many families buried their deceased on small family plots or in community church cemeteries. There are more than 270 known cemeteries in Land Between the Lakes. These cemeteries are remnants of the communities that existed prior to the creation of Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. Please be respectful of these cemeteries and the importance they represent to the people who once lived here.

A.   Motorized Vehicle Use Map, or MVUM, is a legal document required under the Travel Management Rule that shows trails and roads designated for motor vehicle use.

A.   The region offers four gateway state parks and multiple private lakeside resorts plus an array of hotel accommodations in our surrounding communities.

A.   The Outposts at Hillman Ferry, Piney and Wrangler Campgrounds offer basic amenities. Our  major attraction facilities have soda machines and some snacks in their gift shops. You will find gas stations, grocery stores, retail malls, doctors, hospitals, shopping, and restaurants in our surrounding communities.

A.   Land Between the Lakes Rules and Regulations are listed on our website: Rules and Regulations.

A.   Contact our Friends of Land Between the Lakes volunteer coordinator by phone: 270-924-2007 or email: [email protected]. Check out the Friends of Land Between the Lakes website for more information and upcoming volunteer opportunities. Thank you for your interest!

A.   If you are interested in any of these programs, you may e-mail us at [email protected] or call 270-924-2000. See the intern and apprentice page for some general information.

A.   If you find an injured or stray animal in Land Between the Lakes, do not try to help the animal yourself. Keep your distance as the animal may become aggressive or injure you in an attempt to get away. Please call the Woodlands Nature Station at 270-924-2299 or Law Enforcement Office at 270-924-2196.

A. We require a Special Use Permit for events such as weddings, reunions, and other recreational programs of 70 people or more, research studies, and commercial activities, such as commercial filming and photography. Firewood permits are available all year. Call 1-800-525-7077 or 270-924-2000 for more information, or see our permits webpage.

A.   Our visitor center, welcome stations, and environmental education attractions close for New Years Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. While some of our campgrounds and environmental education facilities close for the winter season, the recreation area itself is open year-round. For more information, see our rates and hours page.

A.    Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or “Drones” on National Forest Systems Lands

Know where to fly

  • Individuals and organizations may fly UAS for hobby or recreational purposes in compliance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of Public Law 112-95).
  • UAS must be flown below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles.
  • UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated Wilderness Areas. 
  • UAS are not permitted to fly in areas that have “Temporary Flight Restrictions” (TFR) in place.  You can search the FAA website for current TFRs.
  • Never fly your UAS over or in close proximity to any fire operation (wildfire or prescribed).  UAS flights over fire operations disrupt aerial firefighting operations and create hazardous situations. 
  • The Forest Service regularly flies aircraft at low altitudes to perform natural resource management. It is the UAS Operator’s responsibility to be aware of these flights and take the steps necessary to avoid them. Contact the local Ranger District Office or the FAA for scheduled flights in the area.    
  • UAS are not allowed in developed campgrounds, facilities or the Elk & Bison Prairie in Land Between the Lakes. 

Protect Wildlife & the Environment

  • Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.
  • Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.
  • Follow state wildlife and fish agency regulations on the use of UAS to search for or detect wildlife and fish.
  • Launch the UAS more than 100 meters (328 feet) from wildlife. Do not approach animals or birds vertically with the UAS.

Fly safely, Stay in control

  • Keep your UAS within your visual line of sight at all times.
  • Take lessons and learn to operate your UAS safely.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.
  • Fly your UAS at least 5 miles from an airport or backcountry airstrip.
  • UAS should not be flown over or in close proximity to populated and noise-sensitive areas, such as campgrounds, trail heads, and visitor centers.
  • Obey all privacy laws.

Follow Federal Aviation Association (FAA) guidelines

  • Ensure that you comply with all FAA regulations and guidance for flying your UAS. The FAA has authority over all airspace.
  • Do not fly any aircraft weighing more than 55 pounds (total weight, including payload and fuel source).

A. LBL has approximately 110,000 acres in Kentucky and 60,000 acres in Tennessee.

A. Deer Application Period is July 1 to July 31 on our Deer Quota Hunts webpage.

B. Turkey Application Period is February 1 to February 28 on our Turkey Quota Hunts webpage.

C. You will need to create an account. You must have an email address unique to each hunter per account

D. For login assistance, you can email [email protected]

E. We cannot create accounts or take applications over the phone.

A. Refer to Fact Sheets for Deer, Turkey, and Small Game, Waterfowl and Trapping.  Fact Sheets can be found on the Land Between the Lakes hunting page

A.  A properly licensed hunter may hunt coyotes and coyotes may be taken during daylight hours in any open hunting season with weapons specified for that season. During February, center-fire rifles and handguns, and shotguns with shot size T or smaller may be used for coyotes. Night hunting for coyotes is prohibited on Land Between the Lakes. Hog hunting is PROHIBITED.

A.    All hunters age 16 and over must have a Land Between the Lakes (LBL) Hunter Use Permit and applicable state licenses, i.e.; Must hunt in Kentucky if hunter possesses a Kentucky state license.

The Annual Land Between the Lakes Hunter Use Permit is valid one year from date of purchase and available at Welcome Stations, Visitor Center, and anywhere Kentucky and Tennessee State hunting licenses are sold:

Additionally, a state hunting license and tags for the type of hunting you are doing, as well as a Hunter Safety Card, are needed according to state regulations for the KY/TN portion of LBL you are in. The LBL Annual Hunter Use Permit can be purchased online, at LBL welcome stations, the Golden Pond Visitor Center, or anywhere TN state licenses are sold. 

To hunt deer with firearms, hunters must apply during the month of July and be drawn for a quota deer hunt permit. To hunt during the first several days of spring turkey season, hunters must apply during February and be drawn for a quota turkey hunt permit.

B. Kentucky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources

C. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

D. Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area

a. To purchase permits: You must have an


A. The LBL Recreation Map (Z-map) is available at the visitor centers and campgrounds for $5. It
can also be downloaded and printed from our website at

B. Restricted Road Access – The roads closed to allow walk-in areas will be barricaded and highlighted on maps at the hunter check stations, and on maps on the website listed above (look for “Turkey Hunt Walk-In Maps”). North & South Maps are available and can be printed from the LBL website. In addition, the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM), the habitat maps, and the hunt area maps are available on the website.  Maps of the campgrounds are also available.

A. Areas are only assigned for quota deer & turkey hunts. While other hunting does not have areas assigned, it is unlawful to hunt within 150 yards of any developed area or trail.
Additionally, wildlife refuges, Nature Watch Areas, safety zones around facilities, and trails are closed to hunting.

A. Check the Recreation Map or the Hunt Areas maps on the LBL Maps page. Most of the areas are bounded by roads.

A. In Kentucky, anyone born on or after Jan 1, 1975, and in Tennessee, anyone born on or after Jan 1, 1969, must possess a hunter safety card while hunting, unless the person is exempted by state regulations. Children age 12 & up in KY and age 10 & up in TN are required to have one. See the LBL Youth Hunter Safety Instructions. Regulations are also available through the Kentucky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources or Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

A. There is a list of safety instructions on our website. Look for “LBL Youth Hunter Safety Instructions.” For those youth who are not required to have a hunter safety card, print off the page, go over the items with the youth, and sign the page signifying that you have reviewed the items with the youth. The adult accompanying the youth should carry the signed paper with the youth while hunting.

A. You have to have the state licenses for the state where you are hunting. You can hunt in both states if you have licenses in both states.  The LBL Hunter Use Permit is valid in both states.  For deer hunting, only one antlered deer can be taken in LBL even if you are hunting both states. The Quota Hunt Application System will not allow a hunter to apply in both states for the quota hunt.

A. Camping is available at campgrounds and camping areas. Reservations can be made for our larger developed campgrounds and camping is also available on a first-come, first-served basis. Check out more info on our website at

A. Primitive cabins are available at Energy Lake, Hillman Ferry, and Piney Campgrounds from March 1 through November 30. Wranglers Campground offers primitive cabins year-round.  See the Rates and Hours page for more information.

Basic and dispersed camping requires a permit for each person age 18 & older. The basic/dispersed camping permit is $50 for an annual permit or $10 for a three-day permit. Dispersed camping is permitted anywhere in Land Between the Lakes except in the Nature Watch Demonstration Areas, Brandon Spring Group Center, fee campgrounds, cemeteries, picnic areas, and within 200 yards of US Hwy 68/80, The Trace, Silver Trail Road, Mulberry Flat Road, and Fort Henry Road.

Anyone age 18 and older needs a basic or dispersed camping permit. For basic or dispersed camping. See Camping Rules.

A. Hogs have been confirmed in Land Between the Lakes. We are working with USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and state wildlife agencies to eradicate wild hogs on LBL.  Learn more on our Feral Hog Info page.

Hunting feral hogs in Land Between the Lakes is illegal. Throughout the country, research and management efforts have shown that hunting does not control feral hog numbers. Specifically, hunting pressure causes hogs to go nocturnal and actually promotes their spread as they seek areas with less human disturbance. Successful control and removal efforts have very limited success when competing with concurrent pressure from recreational hog hunting. Instead, we are pursuing a cooperative strategy for intensive trapping and removal efforts to effectively control the hog population. 

Visitors who observe feral hogs or their sign (rooting damage, tracks, wallows, etc.) at Land Between the Lakes should fill out a report form: Report Hog Sightings

A. All that is needed is the required state fishing license.

Learn more through our Fishing Fact Sheet.

A. State regulations limit what wildlife species and how those species can be hunted from a boat, so check current state regulations for the species you are hunting.  Generally, it is not legal to hunt from a boat under motorized power (neither electric or fuel powered engines).  TVA and the Corps of Engineers also likely have legal limitations on firing a weapon from the lake surface, which are their legal jurisdictions. Hunters that plan to hunt on LBL but want to access the land using a boat is legal.  Note that any deer carcass harvested must not cross a state line when transporting it back to the dock or boat ramp.

A. LBL has a stewardship agreement with the NWTF. The NWTF helps us with forest and open land management for wildlife habitat.

A. Yes, there are prescribed burns planned for this upcoming year, weather permitting. They will blacken an area for a short time but in the long run, will help to stimulate and improve wildlife habitat. Please check our Alerts page for the latest updates and information.


A. No. Even though the state of Kentucky may say you can hunt fallow deer elsewhere in the state, they cannot be hunted on Land Between the Lakes. Learn how to tell the difference between fallow and white-tailed deer in our Deer Identification Fact Sheet.

A. No, but you can hunt within Turkey Bay OHV area; however, you cannot hunt within 150 yards of any trail and cannot have a loaded weapon on a vehicle, and the area only allows archery hunting for deer.  You cannot take a motorized vehicle off of a legal road (or trail at Turkey Bay) either.

A. No, you cannot drive or park more than one vehicle length off of a legal road.

A. No, Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Area is the only designated area for UTV/ATV’s. If archery hunting at Turkey Bay, you cannot take a motorized vehicle off of a legal road or trail.

A. Ebikes are considered motorized equipment and can only be operated on designated motorized routes (Forest Service legal roads and OHV trails). They are not permitted on non- motorized (hiking/biking/equestrian) trails. To learn more about our motorized routes, see the Motor Vehicle Use Map.

A. Any weapon carried while hunting must be limited to those legal for hunting the game pursued according to state regulations.  If the weapon being carried for self-defense is legal for hunting a game animal that is in season and that the hunter is licensed to hunt on LBL, then it would be permissible.  It should not be concealed while hunting.

A. Yes; Remember that there is still a one buck total for LBL per season, regardless of which state it was harvested.

A. Maximum per state IF you are drawn for a quota hunt also in that state: (counts toward statewide bag limit)

  1. Kentucky= 1 during quota + 2 during KY archery + 2 during TN archery= 5 deer total*
  2. Tennessee= 2 during quota + 2 during TN archery + 2 during KY archery= 6 deer total*

*Remember that there is still a one buck total for LBL per season, regardless of which state it was harvested.

A. Yes, all hunters aged 16 and older need a $25 LBL Hunter Use Permit. Additionally, state
hunting license and tags for the type of hunting you are doing, and a Hunter Safety Card are
needed according to state regulations for the KY/TN portion of LBL you are in. Be sure to pay
attention to archery season dates for LBL.

A. You can use anything non-motorized, like a horse, mule, cart, dolly, or hunting partner. ATV/UTV use is not allowed.


A. Someone can accompany you on your hunt to take pictures and does not need a hunting permit as long as he/she is not carrying a weapon.  However, if the hunter has 2 weapons usable for hunting carried into the woods with them, then they would also have to have a license.

A. No, all motorized vehicles must stay on the paths where they can be legally driven. On LBL, electric bikes and carts cannot be legally used on trails or access roads.

A. Duck hunters who hunt from the shores of LBL or launch their boat from an LBL boat ramp or shoreline must carry an LBL hunter use permit. If they are hunting offshore and access that site by boat, then they do not need an LBL hunter use permit.  If they come ashore to eat lunch or to cut branches for their blind, they must have a LBL hunter use permit.

B. Hunters calling to ask about registering to hunt from a blind or looking to participate in a drawing for duck blinds will need to contact the Corps of Engineers for Lake Barkley and TVA for Kentucky Lake; otherwise they should contact the state wildlife agency for more info.

A.   You may camp almost anywhere in Land Between the Lakes. There are developed campgrounds and basic camping facilities throughout the recreation area. See our Camping page for information on our camping options or our visitor information map.

A.   Campground regulations state that you may stay 21 consecutive days at staffed (developed) campgrounds. If you are camping with a Basic Camping Permit, you may stay a maximum of 14 consecutive days.

A.   Self-Service Campgrounds offer basic amenities including designated campsite pads, picnic tables, grills, fire rings, vault toilets, trash pickup, lake access, and boat ramps.

You pay a nightly per camping unit fee for camping. The Basic/Dispersed Permit cannot be used at Self-Service Campgrounds.

At Self-Service Campgrounds, you choose a site, fill out a provided fee envelope, insert your camping fee into the envelope, and deposit the envelope in the “Iron Ranger” fee tube at the entrance. Please do this within 30 minutes of setting up your camp.

  • Cravens Bay
  • Fenton
  • Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle Area
  • Nickell Branch
  • Birmingham Ferry
  • Smith Bay
  • Sugar Bay
  • Taylor Bay
  • Redd Hollow
  • Boswell Landing
  • Gatlin Point

A. Yes. If age 18 or older, you must have a Basic/Dispersed Camping Permit. Each person in your group needs one. Campers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Check out the list of Basic camping sites. 

B. You may purchase a Basic/Dispersed Camping Permit online 24/7, at Golden Pond Visitor Center, Turkey Bay OHV Area, Hillman Ferry, Piney, Energy Lake, or Wranglers Campground. North or South Welcome Stations, Woodlands Nature Station, and he Homeplace 1850s Farm sell Basic/Dispersed Camping Permits seasonally. If you arrive after 5pm, go to the nearest campground gatehouse (Hillman, Piney, Wranglers).

C. Basic Campsites:

  • Twin Lakes
  • Kuttawa Landing
  • Demumbers Bay
  • Pisgah Point
  • Ginger Bay
  • Neville Bay

D. Dispersed Camping includes remote campsites throughout the recreation area. Areas at the end of forest roads or along the lake shore often make wonderful campsites. If you camp in a location not designated on our map, it is considered dispersed camping. Read Camping Rules to learn where you can camp.

A.   Yes. Hillman Ferry, Piney, Wranglers, and Energy Lake are popular among RVers. These campgrounds provide water, electric, and sewer sites for motor home use, as well as picnic tables, shower buildings, and other amenities. Most RV sizes can be accommodated with some restrictions.

A.   We offer primitive cabins at Piney, Hillman Ferry, Energy Lake and Wranglers Campgrounds for less rustic campers or for those who do not have camping equipment. These one-room cabins offer bunk beds, tables, chairs, ceiling fans, electric outlets, large porch, picnic tables, and fire rings. Those staying in cabins use the restrooms and shower facilities and provide their own bed linens.

A.   Reservations may be made through our website or by calling 1-800-525-7077. Reservations may be made from two days to up to six months in advance. Reservations may be made at Hillman FerryEnergy LakeWranglers, and Piney Campgrounds. There are a mix of reservable sites and walk-in only sites.

A.   For refunds or cancellations, please call the campground Call Center at 1-800-525-7077. You may also cancel or modify a reservation via the Reservation website

A.   Our Outpost Supply Centers at Piney, Hillman Ferry, and Wranglers Campgrounds offer basic camping amenities such as ice and firewood. Energy campground also sells ice and firewood. Cravens Bay sells ice. Any supplies needed which are not available at the outpost supply centers can be purchased in neighboring communities.

A.   There are many varieties of fish found in the lakes including largemouth, smallmouth, and Kentucky spotted bass; bream; black and white crappie; white and yellow bass; blue catfish; channel catfish; bluegill and other sunfish; and sauger.

A.   Bank fishing is permitted almost anywhere along the lake shoreline.  You may fish at Fenton, Energy Lake Dam, Bards Lake, Honker Lake, Duncan Lake or Hematite Lake near Center Furnace. The states prohibit fishing from bridges. If you prefer to fish from a boat, check out area marinas.

A.  All that is needed is the required state fishing license.

A.   Licenses may be purchased at regional county courthouses, marinas, sporting goods stores, bait shops, and grocery stores. We do not sell state hunting and fishing licenses.

A. We offer some of the nation’s best sport fishing opportunities for crappie, bass, sauger, catfish, and bluegill. Check out the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife or the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) for state regulations and licensing. For anglers 16 and older (13 and older in Tennessee), only a state fishing license is required. Anglers must have a license for the state in which they are fishing. Anglers should carefully examine state regulations as size and creel limits can vary, dependent upon where you are fishing. The state line is marked by signs on the shore. You can also see our Fishing Fact Sheet online or pick up a copy at the North & South Welcome Stations and Golden Pond Visitor Center. The Fishing Fact Sheet has information specific to fishing the ponds and embayments within Land Between the Lakes.

A.   See the Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) webpage or visit Golden Pond Visitor Center for a Turkey Bay OHV Area Trail Map and regulations.

A.   All visitors must complete and sign a Turkey Bay OHV Area Registration and Liability Waiver Form before purchasing a riding permit. Each vehicle taken off-road must have a permit. Permits may be purchased at Turkey Bay Gatehouse or the Golden Pond Visitor Center. Gatehouse Times: Thursday-Sunday 8:30am-5pm. Riding permits can also be purchased at the Golden Pond Visitor Center 7 days a week.

Riding times are dawn to dark, with permit. Open daily. Any closures due to saturated soil conditions will be posted on our Alerts page.

A.   Yes. Camping in Turkey Bay is primitive. Picnic tables and fire rings are available throughout the camping areas. Drinking water and outdoor toilets are also provided along with two, 24-hour generator areas where campers must supply their own generators. Camping permits are $12 per camping unit per night and may be purchased at the gatehouse. If the gatehouse is unattended, an honor fee system is provided.

A.   Turkey Bay has trails for novice, intermediate, and experienced riders. All trails are two directions. The main trail (marked with yellow diamonds) is fairly easy for novice riders to navigate. Secondary trails (marked with orange diamonds) are somewhat narrower and serve as connector trails between points on the main trail loops. Tertiary trails (marked with blue diamonds) are the narrowest, most challenging trails. These trails should be ridden with caution. Trail surface types include thick sandy gravel, chert-style rock, root-strewn tread, and deep gravel.

A.   Yes. We’ve marked challenge area boundaries with red rings on the trees. These typically offer 2 to 10 acres of steep, washed out hill climbs, and are also the most difficult in the trails system. Although trails within these areas will not be signed, please utilize established trails. Riding outside of established trails is prohibited.

A.   It depends on your vehicle. If equipped with a roll-cage, seatbelts, and designed by the manufacturer to carry more than one person, then a passenger is allowed (i.e. street legal vehicles, buggies, side-by-sides). If not designed or not equipped, the answer is ‘No’ for dirt bikes and most ATVs. Look at manufacturer sticker for guidance.

A.   You can purchase fuel in our neighboring communities, approximately 6 miles away. We have a list of area stores for bike and motor parts at the gatehouse.

A.  No. Campers can shower at Wranglers Campground for $5 per person with their current permit.

A.   No. All non-street legal vehicles must be trailered in from adjacent areas to Turkey Bay. Parking at Turkey Bay is free.

A.   Yes. Turkey Trot kid’s area is a great place for children under age 16 with proper size OHV to learn proper riding techniques under parental supervision. 

Other Recreation

A.   No. Metal detectors are not permitted on any federal public land.

A.   Energy Lake rents canoes and kayaks, and the Woodlands Nature Station offers seasonal guided canoe and kayak programs. Learn more on our canoeing and kayaking page. To rent a motorized boat, go to any of the local state resort parks or private marinas.

A.   We provide over 20 public boat ramps; these are marked with boat ramp/lake access signs. You can also find a boat ramp at all designated Basic Camping Areas. See our boat ramps page for more information.

A.   Land Between the Lakes is a Wildlife Management Area (WMA). The Code of Federal Regulations concerning firearms in Land Between the Lakes (CFR 261.53E) states that possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons and going to and from the Land Between the Lakes Target Range. Firearms must be unloaded and cased when transporting.

A.    Land Between the Lakes has two designated swimming areas located in Hillman Ferry and Piney Campgrounds which are only open to campers at those facilities.

For lake access, visit our basic campgrounds, camping areas, and dispersed shoreline access on Kentucky or Barkley Lakes. Many of the areas have picnic tables and campfire rings. Learn more about lake access locations.

-No lifeguards anywhere on Land Between the Lakes
-Swimming at boat ramps and courtesy docks is prohibited
-We encourage the use of water shoes and life jackets

A.   There are numerous scenic trails for hiking and biking. Trails include point-to-point, long distance, and loop for hiking with paved roads and mountain biking trails for biking. For trail information, visit any of our facilities or online at our Hike/Bike Trails page, Quick Links, or Maps.

Ebikes are considered motorized equipment and can only be operated on designated motorized routes (Forest Service legal roads and OHV trails). They are not permitted on non-motorized (hiking/biking/equestrian) trails. To learn more about our motorized routes, see the Motor Vehicle Use Map.

A.  Typically, the best time to visit is when wildlife is most active — just after sunrise and just before sunset. Learn more on our Elk & Bison Prairie page.

A.   The peak of bugling season usually occurs from mid-September to mid-October in the afternoon hours.

ADue to safety concerns for both our visitors and our large animals in the Elk & Bison Prairie, vehicles must be enclosed; pedestrians, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. are not allowed for safety reasons.

A.   Yes, as with most species sharing the same habitat, elk and bison have evolved different eating behaviors. Although there is some overlap, elk for the most part eat woody “browse” – shrubs, twigs, and leaves – and some grasses. Bison for the most part eat grass. If needed, we supplement the food supply with hay during winter months.

A.   This is a long-term project requiring monitoring of wildlife populations, grass re-seeding, controlled burning, and habitat monitoring.

A.   Canadian elk were readily available and were disease free. In addition, biologists believe the Manitoban sub-species released in the Prairie closely resembled the Eastern elk which became extinct around 200 years ago.