Submitted by Brian Truskey
Communications Department apprentice at Land Between The Lakes
The next time you come to visit Land Between The Lakes, plan to visit to our neighbors to the south at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge encompasses 51,000 acres of forest, farmland and grassland wildlife habitat.
In 1945 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service established the area to provide feeding, resting, and nesting habitat for migratory birds. Now over 306 species of birds currently call the refuge home at some point during the year. Over 50 types of mammals, 144 fish species, around 90 species of frogs, turtles, and amphibians, a variety of invertebrates, as well as several endangered species can also be found there.
New Visitor Center
Learn more about the wildlife that make the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge their home at the new visitor center. Ask a staff member about the best wildlife viewing locations for the season of your visit. Interactive displays will give you an idea of some of the animal and plant life in the area.
The new visitor center hosts an environmental classroom and auditorium perfect for classes of many sizes. Visitor center hours are Monday through Saturday from 8am to 4pm. You can also reach them at 731-642-2091.
- May 30 – Fishing Derby
- June 13 – Britton Ford Nature Hike
- June 27 – Insects and Butterflies
- July 25 – Canoeing/Kayaking
- August 8 – Hummingbird Banding
- September 26 – Back to the 23rd
- October 17 – 70th Refuge Anniversary Celebration
- November 7 – Fireside Tunes and Tales
- November 28 – Trim a Tree for Wildlife
- December 5 – Land Between The Lakes Animal Program
See the upcoming events page, or call 731-642-2091, for more information on these programs from the “Refuge Discovery Series.”
The Headquarters/Visitor Center is open 8 am – 4 pm Monday through Saturday. Closed on all Federal holidays.
Springville, TN 38256
Fax: (731) 644-3351
Email: FW4 RW [email protected]
- Birds at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/refuge/tennessee/birds.html
- Endangered species at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/refuge/tennessee/endangered_species.html
- Fish at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147557753
- Frogs, turtles and amphibians at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/refuge/tennessee/reptiles_amphibians.aspx
- Invertebrates at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147565281
- Mammals at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/Refuge/TennesseeRefuge/Mammals.html
- Mississippi Flyway http://mississippi.flyways.us/
- Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/refuge/tennessee/
- Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center www.fws.gov/refuge/Tennessee/visit/plan_your_visit.html
- Upcoming Events at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge www.fws.gov/refuge/Tennessee/Events.html
- Wildlife Viewing Locations by Season www.fws.gov/refuge/Tennessee/seasons_of_wildlife/index.html